Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Excerpt #7: ‘The Last Case’

“Should I answer it, Lourdes?” I asked the bartender.

“Why ask me?” Lourdes said. “I’m not your minister, your mother or your wife. You want to answer it, knock yourself out. Do it before you actually do knock yourself out.”

“You may not be my minister but you’re the closest thing I’ve got,” I said. “Pray with me?” She gave me the stink eye so I went ahead and answered the phone. “Taco Bell,” I said. “Will this be eat-in or carry-out?”

“Taco, it’s Cat,” the phone said to me. Cat was bordering on breathless. “I need you right away. I know where the object is and I have an idea how to get it. Can you come to the gym and talk?”

“I can come to the gym,” I slurred, “but I can barely talk. Why don’t you come down to Chapel and watch me fall off this barstool. You’d better hurry, though. It could happen any minute now.”

“You’re drunk!” Cat said.

“Bingo!” I replied. “A direct hit! Pick out a kewpie doll for yourself and take one for the little woman.”

“What?”

“I’m drunk, sweetie, and I’m not going anywhere. I think that just going outside in this condition would constitute a misdemeanor, and driving would most certainly be a capital offense.”

No comments:

Post a Comment