Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Second written, third published

“The Last Case” was the second book I wrote, following “Time Capsule.” It took me 15 years to complete the first one, but after digging up three pages I had written earlier, I wrote a finished draft of “The Last Case” in only three weeks.

I can’t explain how that happened, except that after I typed the words “It all started…,” the story just kinda came to me. I placed my main character, a drunken detective, at the end of a bar and asked myself what would happen next. I brought in a beautiful woman with a mysterious problem and from there the story just flowed.

During those three weeks in February 2019, I woke up every morning, made a cup of coffee and sat at the computer to write. Some days I woke up with ideas bouncing around in my head and ran to the keyboard to get them down on paper before they flew away. Other days, certain story lines came to me while I was walking my little dog. I could be driving down the street in my car and think of ways to fill gaps in my narrative.

Writing this book was, dare I say it, pretty easy, all things considered.

Of course, since I submitted my original draft to High Peaks Publishing, a fair amount of editing has taken place. My publishers added thoughts and suggestions and I came up with several on my own. My good friend Mitch, who reads my manuscripts before I submit them, added his thoughts as well.

It all came together and last week, “The Last Case” was published on Amazon.com. It’s a quick and easy read with fascinating characters, a puzzling mystery and another of my surprise endings. I think you’d enjoy reading it, so here is a link to the paperback and eBook versions. I hope you’ll give “The Last Case” a try.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1735448451

For a signed copy, email your name and mailing address to ShieldsBooks2018@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment