Sunday, November 3, 2019

Q&A with the author – Part 8 of 10

Q. What’s the easiest part of writing a novel?

A. I’m not sure I’d say it’s always easy, but the most enjoyable part for me is writing dialogue. It comes fairly easily to me most of the time. I just think what I would say at a given time and then have my character say it, or I try to put myself in the character’s mind and imagine what he or she would say. It’s almost like talking to yourself through a keyboard.

I also find it pretty easy to create characters. Because they’re not real, you can give them any traits or habits you choose and make them look any way you want them to look. I have written handsome men, ugly men, beautiful women, homely women, old people, young people, adorable children and children who need a bath. I’ve written happy people, sad people, drunks, ministers, cops, killers and everything in between.

After I finish a book, I often go back and read the parts where I introduced a character and try to figure out where the inspiration came from. Sometimes I also see parts of myself in the people I write, and that amuses me.

Next: A lot of authors outline their books before they start to write. Why don’t you?

No comments:

Post a Comment